You shouldn’t wait until cold and/or flu season to start eating healthier, taking supplements and/or just taking better care of yourself. You should be focused on strengthening your immune system, getting proper rest, reducing stress and nutrition. In this blog I am going to focus on the nutrition aspect and give you 6 foods that can naturally help your immune system.
Our immune system is your body’s defense against outside invaders. Our immune system attacks organisms it feels are harmful (infectious). This is done by our body using specialized cells such as white blood cells and antibodies. Typically a diet rich in a variety of fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean proteins can get the job done. EAting a variety of these foods on a consistent basis will help us get a wide range of essential vitamins and minerals. These include: vitamins A,B,C,D and E, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Zinc to name a few. I know some of you may be thinking “Why don’t I just take a multivitamin and call it a day?”. According to Nutiriton.com “It is important to note that vitamin/mineral supplements are not a replacement for a healthier diet. Remember that in addition to vitamins and minerals, foods also contain hundreds of naturally occuring substances that can help protect your health”. Here are 6 foods that can help:
- Yogurt. Assuming you are not sensitive to dairy, in which case you can try goat’s, sheep, soy or almond yogurt, yogurt is packed with probiotics. Probiotics are a type of bacteria that help with our gut health.
- Spinach, Kale and/or other dark leafy veggies. These contain a high level of vitamin C which helps with our immune system.
- Oranges. These are packed with vitamin C as well.
- Ginger. Many feel ginger is an antibiotic, antivirus , anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial food. This “power” food also contains vitamins A,B,C and E, Magnesium, Phosphorus , Zinc and Calcium.
- Milk. Packed with calcium for bone health and vitamin D, Dairy can do you good.
- Blueberries. Antioxidant little power houses, they can help your immune system and reduce inflammation.
So the next time you’re at the grocery store grab some if not all the following and start to fight off sickness and be healthier today.